Parish: St. Edward Confessor
Address: 205 Jackson Avenue, Syosset, NY 11791
Sunday Mass schedule: Sat.: 5 p.m., Sun.: 7:30, 9:30, 11:30 a.m. and 7 p.m.
Daily Mass schedule: Mon-Sat.: 9 a.m.
Registered families: 2,959
Pastor: Father Thomas Fusco
St. Edward Confessor parish in Syosset was founded in 1952 from a section of the growing St. Dominic parish, Oyster Bay. The first Masses were celebrated by pastor Father Edward Hanrahan at a local fire house. The new community quickly began a campaign to build its own church, which was dedicated in June, 1955.
“It is such an active parish,” said Sister of Mercy Jackie Walsh, who has been a pastoral assistant here for eight years.
The parish has a committee to welcome new parishioners who are invited to a Mass and reception to meet other new families and learn about parish ministries. They also receive e-mails of upcoming parish events.
The large parish social ministry program works to help all parishioners in need. “Father Tom (Fusco, the pastor) believes in a full, 360-degree circle of care for all parishioners,” said Sister Jackie, which includes not only visiting parishioners in the hospital, but following up with them when they leave. Parish social ministry provides reassurance calls and visits to the homebound as well as support for caregivers. A social worker helps to provide comprehensive care for those in need and consolation and bereavement ministries help families dealing with loss.
St. Edward’s opened its parish school in 1961. Now serving children from three years old to eighth grade, the school is proud of its “Kindhearted Kids” who are recognized for their efforts to be kind and helpful. There are an additional 1,000 children enrolled in the parish religious education program. There are also active Scouting programs for boys and girls and a large CYO athletic program.
The youth ministry, led by Gerard Giglio, not only provides spiritual and recreational activities for parish teens, but has a talented music group which leads liturgies and presents a Christmas spectacular open to all ages in the parish.
An adult faith formation program offers opportunities for continued spiritual growth as do numerous clubs and societies. An active men’s group is engaged in many ministries, including reading to the children in the nursery and pre-school.
Both the men’s and the women’s group bring in speakers on a variety of topics. The Sensational Seniors enjoy trips and gatherings.
St. Edward’s first church was destroyed by fire in August, 2000. A new church was built across the parking lot from the old building and was dedicated in 2003. The modern church is full of natural light and animal lovers and people devoted to St. Francis of Assisi are particularly fond of the statue of the saint with a life-sized wolf. A large bronze statue of the parish patron stands outside near Jackson Avenue. The parish celebrates its patronal feast day in October with Mass and veneration of a relic. Near the feast day, they also present the Spirit of St. Edward Award to a parishioner who embodies the parish spirit.
A few years ago, the parish reinstituted its summer festival, co-sponsored by the Knights of Columbus. It will be held this year August 11-14.