Amityville — Father Thomas J. McCarthy, who spent 17 years building churches as a Maryknoll missionary before serving in the Diocese of Rockville Centre, died Aug. 7.
His Mass of Transferral was celebrated Aug. 10 at St. Martin of Tours Church here by Msgr. Christopher Heller with Father Thomas Colgan as homilist. His funeral Mass was celebrated Aug. 11 at St. Martin of Tours by Bishop William Murphy, with Father Richard Stelter as homilist.
A native of Freeport, Father McCarthy was educated at Our Holy Redeemer School, Cathedral Prep and College, and completed studies for the priesthood from the Maryknoll seminary. He was ordained to the priesthood in 1953. He also received a master’s degree in city and regional planning from The Catholic University of America.
He served as a Maryknoll missionary for 17 years, mostly in Yucatan, Mexico, where he not only served in parishes but helped to construct churches. He returned to the United States in 1970. He was a member of the American Institute of Planners and spent time working at the National Capital Planning Commission in Washington, D.C. Upon returning to Long Island, he was briefly assigned to Cure of Ars Church in Merrick before being assigned to St. Anthony’s parish, Oceanside, in 1972. He was incardinated as a priest of the diocese in 1977.
Following assignments included St. Anne’s Church, Garden City (1978-84); St. Rose of Lima Church, Massapequa (1984-87); St. Hugh of Lincoln Church, Huntington Station (1987-1988); St. Peter of Alcantara Church, Port Washington (1988-92); St. Patrick’s Church, Glen Cove (1992-98). Father McCarthy retired in 1998, but continued to serve as a chaplain for the Dominican Sisters in Amityville.
Father McCarthy is survived by a niece, Margaret Mary Miller, of Freeport, and by M. Audrey McCarthy of Minneapolis. His burial was in Holy Rood Cemetery, Westbury.